Wednesday, April 13, 2016

New Beginnings


April brings with it new beginnings. Buds appear on trees and flowers start to poke up through the earth. One new beginning for me was many Aprils ago, in 1981, when I was accepted as an affiliate at Saint Benedict’s Monastery. As an affiliate I was beginning the first step into becoming a member of the community. I had written a letter of request, and I received a letter in return welcoming me as an affiliate. When I read my letter there was a scripture passage from the prophet Isaiah inserted into the body of it. This is what the prophet Isaiah had to say to me on that memorable day.  
"Lo, I am about to create new heavens and a new earth; The things of the past shall not be remembered or come to mind. Instead, there shall always be rejoicing and happiness in what I create; for I create Jerusalem to be a joy and its people to be a delight; I will rejoice in Jerusalem and exult in my people (Ch.65:17-19)
Before they call, I will answer; while they are yet speaking, I will hearken to them. (vv.24)"

When I came across my letter of acceptance this past February, I recalled reading the letter for the first time, and this particular passage from Isaiah. I remember thinking, yes, I was being created anew and God was/is the creator. God was calling me into new life. God has continued to call me forth, challenging me to trust and follow. So what new beginnings may be happening for you in your life at this time? What may God be asking of you on our own unique journey during this month of new beginnings? On April 9th we will be hosting a retreat from 9-4 for women: Is God calling you to Religious Life? If you would like more information please contact Sister Lisa Rose at lrose@csbsju.edu.


Lisa Rose, OSB

No comments:

Post a Comment